Nursing Home Abuse in Las Vegas, Nevada
Negligence in Nursing Homes
Unfortunately, nursing home negligence is becoming a growing problem in many states, and Nevada is not an exception. Legal claims against nursing homes or assisted living facilities include abuse, neglect, serious injuries and even wrongful death.
Nursing Home Abuse Defined
The official definition of nursing home abuse is any physical, sexual, verbal, psychological, or financial abuse against residents of a residential care facility.
Duty of Care and Nursing Home Liability
When someone you love becomes a resident of a nursing home, you have certain expectations of what is called a “Duty of Care.” The nursing homes in Las Vegas are inspected on a regular basis, but there is only so much the inspector can do and you are not there to watch it all the time.
Failing to meet the duty of care obligations can be a foundation for a lawsuit against a nursing home.
If you think that the nursing home breached the duty of care and because of that a senior is being mistreated, abused, neglected, or injured, you should:
- Document the incident Date and Time
- Take many pictures of bruises or injuries
- Take pictures of dirty clothing and unsanitary living conditions
- Create a nursing home abuse video with your mobile phone
- Record abusive conversations with elderly
Your next step is to call a nursing home abuse lawyer immediately. We encourage you to call us at 702-432-1000 and speak with a nursing home abuse lawyer directly about your case.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
If you have seniors in a nursing home and you suspect an abuse, here is a list of things to watch for.
Examples of nursing home abuse:
- Abnormal bruising and unexplained injuries
- Dried or aged blood found on clothing and/or living environment
- Broken eyeglasses
- Caregiver will not let you visit with your loved one in private
Signs of Nursing Home Neglect
Listen to what your loved one tells you, they may be reaching out for help!
Examples of nursing home neglect:
- Dehydration and/or lack of proper nutrients (rapid weight loss)
- Dirty clothing and/or living environment that includes soiled bed sheets or clothing
- Bed sores or localized injuries to the skin that usually occur as a result of pressure
- Constant sedation and/or improperly administered medications
- Isolating or being left alone for extended periods of time
- Vocalized complaints
Challenges to Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawsuits
There are many issues and challenges with the nursing home abuse or neglect cases. The most popular are:
- Patients are incapacitated or, sometimes, already died;
- Expert witnesses (nurses, physicians, building engineers) are required to prove the case and experts are expensive;
- Nursing homes have all the records; they are very slow in releasing the records to the attorneys. In some cases, they simply don’t want to provide their records to the attorneys;
- Nursing homes can alter patient's records.
Causes the Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
There are a number of things that can cause negligence in a nursing home. It could be the lack of training by the nursing home staff, frustration in dealing with sick or elderly patients, or lack of adequate facilities. Often owners and management put profits above care. Regardless of the cause - no abuse is justifiable.
Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Can Help
Nevada laws regarding elder care facilities and nursing homes are ever-changing and very complex. The nursing home abuse lawyer at Heshmati & Associates can help victims of negligence in a nursing home to get a monetary compensation.
Needless to say, each case is different. If you suspect abuse and neglect or want to learn more about your rights, call our the office at 702-432-1000 or contact us online and a nursing home abuse lawyer will call you back within 24 hours.
We take all personal injury cases, including nursing home abuse and neglect on contingency basis, which means - you never pay us until we win.
The nursing home abuse lawyers at Heshmati & Associates represent clients in Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson, Laughlin, Mesquite, and throughout Nevada.
Nursing Home Abuse
How to Report Nursing Home Abuse in Las Vegas, Nevada. - Aging and Disability Services provides Elder Protective Services in Nevada for persons 60 years old and older who may experience abuse, neglect, exploitation, or isolation. You can report the nursing home negligence to this government agency.